We got this recipe from 12tomatoes.com. It is a very good recipe and so easy to make. We love the fact that we can make the sauce ahead of time (in large quantities) and let the flavors marry overnight (or longer). We also love the fact that a little food goes a long way. We can feed the three of us for just a few dollars this way and we are all full. AND, homemade is always better than store-bought.
1 pound ground beef
1 large, white onion
1 green bell pepper
10- 12 flour tortillas
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
3 cups Mexican blend cheese
freshly ground pepper
For the Sauce:
2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2. Begin the sauce by heating oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and whisking in the flour. Stirring so it doesn’t burn, cook for 1 minute.
3. Add in the chili powder, garlic powder, salt, oregano, cumin and pepper, and stir it all together.
4. Gradually pour in the chicken stock and continue whisking to get rid of lumps.
5. Lower the heat and let the mixture simmer until thick. (about 12-15 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
6. In a large pan or skillet, brown the beef on all sides over medium-high heat. Drain and discard the fat, then season with salt and pepper and set aside.
7. In the same pan, saute the onions and bell peppers for 5-7 minutes, or until softened.
8. Create an assembly line at your workstation by lining up tortillas, sauce, beans, beef and veggies, and cheese.
9. On a flat surface, lay out a tortilla and spread a medium amount of red sauce over the whole thing. Place beans in a line down the center of the tortilla, then top with beef, vegetables and cheese.
10. Roll up the tortilla (don’t worry about folding in the sides) and transfer it to baking dish.
11. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Once finished, cover enchiladas with remaining red sauce and cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and enchilada is warmed through.
12. Remove from the oven, garnish with cilantro and enjoy!